Route 1

Vilafranca de Bonany – Sant Marti d’Alanzell – Son Pere Jaume – Vilafranca de Bonany


  • Municipal Area: Vilafranca de Bonany
  • Length of route: 3 Kilometres
  • Grade of difficulty: Low
  • Observations: Advisable for people of all age groups
  • Type of circuit: On foot,bicycle or mountain bike


  • The Church of Saint Barbara
  • Es Moli Nou
  • Pou Viguet
  • Caseta i Pou de Son Pere Jaume
  • Sant Marti d’Alanzell

The Church of Saint Barbara

The floor of the church is in the form of a Latin cross. The area immediately before the main nave, which is in the oldest part of the church, has four side chapels and a barrel vault deck. The work in the temple is of great artistic value especially the main altarpiece constructed between 1776 and 1778, at the heart of the church is the baptism font dating from 1685 made from local sandstone.

Moli Nou

The one remaining Mill in Vilafranca, of which there were five, is a mill tower built on a base which was used as a dwelling and for storage. It would appear that the original eight blades were at some point 42 palm spans long and had two sets for grinding kits allowing for the milling of wheat in one and barley in the other.

Pou Viguet

Pou (Well) Viguet dates back to the Muslim era and is remarkable for it’s covering.

Cases de Sant Marti d’Alanzell

An estate that was key and of great importance in the history of Vilafranca de Bonany and related to the start of the urban nucleus, it is ¨toponimo¨ meaning, ¨Exempt of Taxes¨

Caseta de Pou de Son Pere

According to history it is the first house in the village. It consists of an isolated farmhouse,surrounded by countryside with the cultivation of trees,figs and almonds,accustomed to the dry,arid land,being dependant only on rain water. It is right next to the road to which it owes it’s name, of medieval origen, constructed for agricutural purposes.

Route 2

Vilafranca de Bonany – Sant Martí d’Alanzell – Es Pagos – Vilafranca de Bonany


  • Municipal area: Vilafranca de Bonany, Porreres
  • Length of route: 13 Kilometres
  • Grade of difficulty: Low – medium
  • Observations: A route of interest for bird watching
  • Type of circuit: Mountain bike


  • Pou Viguet
  • Sant Marti d’Alanzell
  • Es Pagos i Pou d’es Pagos
  • Ses Talaies
  • Encinar

Es Pagos i Pou d’es Pagos

The name of this estate which is located in the municipality of Porreras, comes from the guards that cared for the Pavo Cristatus (Peacocks) that they had in the 15th and 16th centuries, which were subject to poaching in these times, causing protests by the owners to the authorities. In the vicinity there is a talayote (low tower) presumibly built for observation to protect them.

Ses Talaies

These estates were traditional units dedicated to agricultural exploitation. Ses Talaies is an example of rural agriculture in Mallorca. The ruins of two abandonded windmills can be found here.


Is the most characteristic forest in Mallorca. Because the denseness of the holm oak or holly oak as it is also known,an oak tree found mostly on the mediteranean, very little light can get through making it a humid and fresh environment. In the undergrowth you will find an abundance of bushes and vegetation.

Route 3

Vilafranca de Bonany – Es Pou Morer – Alcúdia Arrom – Talaiots de Son Pou Vell – Síquia llarga – Vilafranca de Bonany


  • Municipal area: Vilafranca de Bonany
  • Length of route: 16 kilometres
  • Grade of difficulty: Moderate
  • Observations: Precaution on the road sections
  • Type of circulation: Mountain bike


  • Clay mining
  • The woodland of Castellot Nou
  • Rain dependent cultivation
  • Wild olive forest
  • Alcudia Arrom
  • Talayotes (prehistoric towers) of Son Pou Vell

The tower of Alcudia Arrom

Farmhouse dating back to 1232 and documented in the book of division of land in Mallorca. Given in recompence by King James 1st to the noblemen who participated in the conquest of Mallorca. It’s name is one of the few remaining names of Arab origen that still remains in the area. The estate has a notable round tower, of some 5 metres in diametre and 3 metres high, it’s walls are half a metre thick.

Pou Morer

One of the greater excavasions of clay extraction. The clay is obtained by surface mining and is the principle material for roof tiles and used in the pottery industry found in the area.
In 1996 there were six roof tile businesses in the municipality of Vilafranca, currently there isn’t one left.

Prehistoric towers of Son Pou Vell

A set of two towers, one of which is still in good condition, you can still appreciate the circular base, the walls, the door and the central column. El Talayote is the monument most representative of Talayotic culture (1300-1200 AC).

Siquia Llarga

The great canalization of Siquia Llarga collects water from the the mountains of Bonany, called Rafal Figuera and Sa Punta, therefore avoiding stagnation of the waters that are used in the surrounding areas for cultivation.

Route 4

Vilafranca de Bonany – Fonteta de la Mare de Déu – Santuari de Bonany


  • Municipal area: Villafranca de Bonany, Petra, San Joan
  • Length of route: 6,9 kilometres
  • Grade of difficulty
  • Observations:
    • Stretches of steep climbs
    • To reach the fountain you must leave your bicyle
  • Type of circulation: On foot or mountain bike


  • Sanctuary of Bonany
  • Fountain of the Mother of God of Bonany
  • Hermitage of Bonany

Sanctuary of Bonany

On this small mountain on the plains of Mallorca 317 metres in height you will find an example in abundance of Mediterranean flora and fauna. On the eastern slopes to the north, there are holm oaks mixed with pine trees, although the majority of the land is covered in wild olive. As far as the fauna goes, what stands out is the presence of the Mediterranean turtle and numerous birds, sparrows, pipits, shrike etc.

The fountain of the mother of god

Situated on the east slope of the mountain there is an important point within the history of Bonany. Principally the hermits of Bonany used the water from the fountain for their livestock to drink and for washing. To make better use, at the beginning of the 20th century the water was canalized and a wash house was constructed. Also, terraces were constructed on the mountain side to grow vegetables and plant fruit trees. In 1915 the hermits constructed a stone cave over the fountain and erected a statue of the Mother of God.